Butyl Pond Liner
A Butyl pond liner is common in Europe.
This type of rubber is also known as polyisobutylene and is a synthetic rubber. Butyl rubber is normally a yellowish color but the manufactures are producing a water pond liner in black to blend in better with the bottom of garden ponds.
Benefits of butyl liners
- A highly stable material that is fish and plant safe.
- Does not contain plasticizers that could make it brittle with age or sun light.
- High expansion and contraction characteristics.
- Little or no regular maintenance required once installed.
Draw backs of butyl rubber pond liners
- More expensive than the US epdm liner.
- The US epdm liner is 33% thicker than a butyl liner.